The season officially gets underway on Friday, but before that happens, I figured I’d let you in on what’s going on with the Hoyas who’ve taken their basketball skills beyond the hilltop.
Yesterday, we got you updated with all the Hoyas on Twitter, and today, I’ll be giving you recent updates on Georgetown players in the NBA and beyond.
- Jeff Green (NBA Profile) is in his fourth season with the Oklahoma City Thunder (nee Seattle SuperSonics). So far this season, he’s averaging just shy of 20 points per game with over seven rebounds and a steal per game. He had to sit out the last game against the Celtics with a rolled ankle, and hopefully will return to action tomorrow against the 76ers. Sunday night marked the first game that Jeff has missed since sitting out four games in 2009 with back spasms.
- Roy Hibbert (NBA Profile), in his third season with the Indiana Pacers, is coming into his own as a true NBA center. Starting the season off with a 28 point, 10 rebound performance against the San Antonio Spurs, he’s continued to shine averaging a double-double in the Pacers’ five opening games. It seems like his hard work is paying off, and he’s getting more attention as a result.
- DaJuan Summers (NBA Profile) is in his second season with the Detroit Pistons, and as he did last year, he’s struggling to find playing time. He’s played in three of the Pistons’ seven games this season and has yet to make a lasting impact.
- Greg Monroe (NBA Profile) is also with the Pistons, and like DaJuan he’s yet to find his role on the struggling Pistons. He’s been getting more playing time of late, getting action in Detroit’s last five games after sitting out the first two games credited to coach’s decision.
- Allen Iverson, after 14 seasons in the NBA, is taking his talents across the Atlantic Ocean to play with Beşiktaş Cola Turka in Istanbul. Just arriving in Turkey on Monday, he’s yet to play a game in Europe, but Allen has already seen the impact of his arrival as fans and media swarmed him at the airport yesterday, and he received a welcome ovation at a Beşiktaş soccer game last night.
- Jessie Sapp, after spending a year in Scotland with the Glasgow Rocks, is now playing in Slovakia for Basketbal Pezinok.
- Jonathan Wallace is playing basketball in Germany with FC Bayern Munchen. Over the weekend, he led Munich in scoring with 17 points in their win over ETB Wohnbau.
- Brandon Bowman is currently playing professionally in Bulgaria for PBC Lukoil Academic. Former Marquette standout Dominic James is also playing in Sofia, who are currently 4-0 and sitting atop the Bulgarian National Basketball League standings.
- Kevin Braswell is the only Hoya in Oceania, playing his second season with the New Zealand Breakers He had 14 points and five assists over the weekend against the Gold Coast Blaze.
- Victor Samnick, another 2002 Hoya alum, is playing for Sluc Nancy Basket in France.
- Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje is still playing in Germany, but he’s no longer with EWE Baskets Oldenburg. This season, he’s playing for the Artland Dragons from Quakenbruck.
- Jameel Watkins may or may not play for a team called Hekmeh also known as Al-Hikma also known as Club Sagesse in Beirut, Lebanon. There really is very little information about the team of many names as they don’t have an active website.